This stir fry features quinoa in place of rice and has a colorful mix of vegetables with red pepper, kale, and edamame. It also has a surprisingly lemon flavor thanks to the lemon juice and zest added just prior to serving. If you prefer a more toned down lemon flavor, add half the lemon juice suggested.
Yield: approximately 8 – ¾ cup servings
- 1 cup dry quinoa
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1 Tbsp. canola oil
- 1 ½ cups thin, julienne strips of red pepper (1 large red pepper)
- 2 cups chopped kale
- 5 oz. sliced, water chestnuts (1- 8 oz. can, drained)
- 1 cup shelled edamame, cooked
- 1 ½ cups seitan strips (8 oz.)
- Juice and zest of one lemon
- In a medium saucepan, bring the vegetable broth to a boil.
- Add quinoa and simmer over medium-low for 25-30 minutes until most of the liquid has been absorbed and the quinoa is cooked.
- In a large frying pan, heat canola oil over medium heat.
- Add red pepper and chopped kale and cook for 5 minutes or until soft, stirring constantly.
- Toss in water chestnuts, edamame, and seitan strips and cook for an additional 3-5 minutes to warm the seitan.
- Add cooked quinoa, ¼ cup lemon juice, and 2 Tbsp. lemon zest. Cook until juice has been absorbed.
- Serve warm.