This colorful holiday side dish is simple to make and perfect for Thanksgiving dinner or your next winter event.
Simply toss squash with oil and cumin, roast, and then sprinkle with juicy pomegranate arils and crunchy pistachios before serving. Along with bringing color, convenience, and flavor to your holiday table, this vegan recipe is also packed with plant-powered nutrients and satisfying fiber to help you feel happily nourished.
Try this festive dish all on its own or serve it alongside your favorite plant-based protein source. (Try baked tofu or slow-cooked lentils!) However enjoyed, this seasonal, plant-based recipe is certain to become your family’s next favorite veggie side dish.
Roasted Squash with Pomegranate and Pistachios
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes
- 1 peeled and cored acorn squash, sliced into half rings
- 2 tablespoons grapeseed oil (or preferred cooking oil)
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- salt and pepper to taste
- ½ cup pomegranate arils (arils from about ½ small pomegranate)
- ¼ cup roughly chopped shelled pistachios
- Preheat oven to 400º F and prepare a baking sheet.
- Combine squash, oil, cumin, and salt and pepper in a large mixing bowl and then spread onto baking sheet.
- Place baking sheet on center rack of oven and roast until squash is tender and golden brown in areas, about 30 minutes.
- Remove baking sheet from oven, transfer squash to serving dish, and sprinkle with pomegranate arils and chopped pistachios before serving.
What are your favorite vegetables to serve during the holidays?