Often this vegetable is the star at holiday celebrations when it finds its way into sweet side dishes or baked into pies, but sweet potatoes make a wonderful addition to lunch or dinner throughout the year. Sweet potatoes (Ipomoea batatas) can be baked, boiled, or even micro-waved as a healthy side dish or added to a main dish at any meal. One baked, medium (5″ length) sweet potato provides approximately
- 103 Calories
- 4 grams of fiber
- 24 grams of carbohydrate
- 22 mg Vitamin C (which is 37% of the Daily Value)
- 21,909 IU of Vitamin A (which is over 4 times the amount required in a day)
If you are looking for a way to add this colorful vegetable that is packed with Vitamins A and C to your diet, create crispy baked fries for dinner tonight.
Lemony Pepper Sweet Potato Fries
Yield: 3 cups
- 1 lb raw sweet potatoes (approx 3-4 medium)
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp Mrs. Dash® lemon pepper seasoning blend or other favorite seasoning
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Line two baking sheets with aluminum foil. Spray or rub with cooking oil.
- Peel sweet potatoes and cut into fries that are approximately ½” thick by 2-3″ long.
- Mix lemon juice and lemon pepper seasoning blend in a large bowl.
- Add sweet potatoes and toss to coat.
- Spread sweet potatoes in a single layer on the two baking sheets.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until the fries have decreased in size by half and are soft in the middle.