Yield: 10 – ½ cup servings
Preparation time: 30-40 minutes
Chipotle peppers are a wonderful way to add a smoky, spicy flavor to any dish. This scramble is rich in flavor and texture and will be sure to be a crowd pleaser. The addition of the chipotle peppers can be adjusted up or down depending on your spice tolerance.
- 1 cup diced green peppers
- 1 cup button mushrooms, diced
- 1 cup diced Roma tomatoes
- 1 cup diced yellow onion
- 8 oz pkg tempeh, diced
- 1/3 cup chipotle peppers in adobe sauce, diced
- 2 cups frozen hash browns
- 1 Tbsp canola oil
- Salt and pepper
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 pkg. 8 inch whole wheat tortillas
- Fat free sour cream or vegan sour cream substitute
- Prepare and combine diced peppers, mushrooms, tomatoes, onion, tempeh, and chipotle peppers.
- Heat canola oil in 12 inch skillet over medium heat. Layer hash browns on bottom, then tempeh mixture on top. Add salt and pepper to preference. Cook over medium heat for 8-10 minutes or until hash browns are brown and crispy. Then, using a spatula, flip over the hash brown and tempeh mixture. Cook an additional 8-10 minutes until all vegetables are thoroughly cooked through. Add juice of 1 lime within last few minutes of cooking.
- Portion ½ cup into wheat tortilla and serve with sour cream substitute.
Nutritionals (per ½ cup of tempeh scramble, tortilla and sour cream not included)
Calories: 113; Fat: 3.4 g; Saturated Fat: 0.5g; Trans Fat: 0g; Cholesterol: 0 mg; Sodium: 117 mg; Carbohydrate: 15g; Fiber: 4.6 g; Sugar: 2.5g; Protein: 6g; Vitamin A: 508 IU; Vitamin C: 20.5mg; Iron: 1.5 mg; Calcium:42 mg