Submitted by: Shannon Doran, RD
Yield: 6 servings (1 cup beans, ¼ cup salad, 3 Tbsp coulis)
Ingredients: Mango Coulis
- 1 Ripe mango
- 1 Tbsp Sugar
- ¼ cup Water
- Zest of ½ lime
Ingredients: Black Beans
- 1 Tbsp Extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large Onion, chopped
- 1 Red bell pepper, chopped
- 5 cloves Garlic, minced
- 1 tsp Chili powder
- 1 tsp Ground cumin
- 1 cup Vegetable stock
- 1 lb Roma tomatoes, diced
- 2-15 oz cans Reduced sodium black beans
- Salt and pepper, to taste
Ingredients: Jicama/Avocado Salad
- 2 cups Julienned jicama
- 2 Ripe avocado, cubed
- ½ cup Red onion, chopped
- ½ Jalapeno, minced
- ¼ cup Cilantro, minced
- Juice of one lime
- Gently wash all fruits and vegetables.
- For Mango Coulis: Peel mango. Take cutting board and knife, cut mango off seed and chop coarsely. Place mango, sugar, water, and lime zest in food processor. Blend ingredients until pureed. Pour puree into small saucepan. Cook at medium heat for 3 minutes stirring continuously. Lower heat to low and cook an additional 2 minutes. Remove from heat. Strain puree into small measuring cup or saucer and set aside.
- For Black Beans: While the mango puree is in the saucepan, take a large onion and cut off ends and slice in half. Peel outer layer of both halves of the onion. Chop coarsely and set aside. Take red bell peppers and cut stem end off. Pull out seeds. Chop coarsely and set aside. Take 5 garlic cloves (peeled) and chop coarsely and set aside. Take 1 lb Roma tomatoes and cut off the core ends. Dice the tomatoes and set aside. Take the can opener and open the cans of black beans. Pour the black beans in a strainer to drain. Rinse the black beans with cool water to remove excess salt and set aside. Now, heat a large skillet over
medium-high heat. When pan is hot, add extra virgin olive oil. Next add the chopped onion and sauté for 2-3 minutes.*
- Add chopped red bell pepper, minced garlic, chili powder, and ground cumin. Continue to sauté for 2 minutes. Reduce heat to lowmedium. Add diced tomatoes and vegetable stock (measure 1 cup).*
(NOTE: *Suggest adding 1 tsp salt and 1 tsp pepper at these stages.)
- Simmer uncovered for 15 minutes using wooden spoon to stir occasionally. Add black beans and simmer 5 minutes. Now, using a tasting spoon, give it a try and adjust with salt and pepper. Remember you can always add more but you can’t get it back!! Leave on stove at low to keep warm.
- For Jicama/Avocado Salad: Take jicama and peel the skin off using a peeler. Julienne the jicama and place in a small mixing bowl. Take the avocadoes and cut in half. Take seed out and, using a spoon, scoop out the green inside. Chop coarsely and place in mixing bowl with the jicama. Take the red onion and peel the skin off. Chop ½ cup red onion and place in mixing bowl. Take the cilantro and de-stem it. Mince cilantro for ¼ cup and place in mixing bowl. Squeeze the juice of a lime into the mixing bowl. Using the wooden spoon, stir the contents of the mixing bowl. Place in the fridge.
- For plating: Take clean, white plate preferably rectangular or square. Using the slotted spoon, place 1 cup of beans on the plate. Next place ¼ cup jicama/avocado salad on the plate. Place 3 Tbsp of mango coulis around the outside of the plate and it is ready to serve.
Recipe Note: For a hardier fare, serve 1 cup black beans over brown rice. For a cool twist, don’t strain the mango sauce and place it in the freezer approximately 2 hours to form a sorbet.
Nutritionals: (1 cup beans, ¼ cup salad, 3 Tbsp mango coulis)
Calories: 221, Total Fat: 3 g; Saturated Fat: 0 g; Cholesterol: 0 mg; Sodium: 184 mg; Carbohydrate: 42 g; Fiber: 12 g; Sugar: 13 g; Sodium: 184 mg; Protein: 10 g; Vitamin A: 49% DV; Vitamin C: 122% DV; Calcium: 10% DV; Iron: 17% DV