Submitted by: Martha DeCampos, RD, LD
Yield: 10-8” tortillas
- 1-15 oz can Unseasoned, vegetarian black beans – rinsed to remove excess sodium*
(can be substituted for other beans)
- 1-15 oz can No salt added sweet corn*
(or 1 ¾ cup fresh or frozen corn)
- ½ medium Zucchini, chopped finely*
(or any other preferred veggie)
- ¼ bunch Cilantro, chopped finely
- 1 cup Salsa (look for low sodium)
- 1 bunch Fresh spinach leaves
- 10 Tbsp Shredded, reduced fat cheddar cheese or vegan cheese
- 10 – 8” Tortillas, 96% fat free whole wheat
- Pam® spray
- In a large bowl add black beans, corn, zucchini, cilantro, and salsa. Stir to mix well.
- Place 1/2 cup of mixture on one half of the tortilla. Top with two to three fresh spinach leaves and 1 Tablespoon of shredded cheese. Fold tortilla in half.
- Use Pam® to spray griddle or flat pan. Use low to medium heat. Heat tortilla on both sides until cheese has melted and ingredients are heated through, about one minute per side. Tortilla should look light golden brown.
- Watch carefully so that it doesn’t burn.
No time for the griddle? Put folded tortilla on a microwaveable plate and heat in microwave for 1 minute. Easy enough for older children to make after school! Ohhhhh, so colorful and delicious! Serve with milk or other milk beverage. Enjoy!
Nutritionals (1 – 8” tortilla)
Calories: 238; Total Fat: 3 g; Saturated Fat: 0 g; Cholesterol: 0 mg; Sodium: 457 mg; Carbohydrate: 39 g; Fiber: 6 g; Sugar: 4 g; Protein: 11 g; Vitamin A: 69% DV; Vitamin C: 18% DV; Calcium: 12% DV; Iron: 17% DV