End of summer means tons of fresh vegetables and herbs to harvest. Gyros make the perfect grab and go lunch that can incorporate a lot of the harvest in a little package. This cold variety substitutes beef with cooked, thinly sliced beets and is complimented with a tangy tomato and cucumber Tzatziki sauce.
- 2 cups thinly sliced cucumbers
- ½ cup thinly sliced tomatoes
- ½ cup thinly sliced red onion rings, cut in half
- 1/3 cup Tofutti® Better than Sour Cream (or other vegan sour cream alternative)
- 1 Tbsp. balsamic vinegar
- 1 Tbsp. chopped, fresh dill
- 1 Tbsp. nutritional yeast flakes
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cups cooked, thinly sliced beets
- 6 wheat flatbreads
- Combine sliced cucumbers, tomatoes, onion slices, vegan sour cream, vinegar, dill, nutritional yeast flakes, salt, and pepper in a bowl. Refrigerate at least 1 hour before use.
- If desired, heat wheat flatbread.
- Spread each flatbread with 1/3 cup beets and a heaping 1/3 cup tomato and cucumber tzatziki sauce.
Yield: Serves 6 gyros