Submitted by: Melissa Church, MS, RD, LD
Chickasaw Nation- Get Fresh! Program
Yield: 16 biscuits
- 1 ½ cup All purpose flour
- ½ cup Whole wheat flour
- 1 Tbsp Baking powder
- 1 tsp Salt
- 4 Tbsp Unsalted butter, cold
- ¾ cup Skim milk
- ½ cup Sweet potatoes, mashed
- Preheat the oven to 450°F.
- Combine both types of flour, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl. Stir to mix well.
- Cut the cold butter into small pieces and add to the flour mixture. Using your fingertips, work the butter into the
flour until it has reached the consistency of cornmeal.
- In a small bowl combine the milk and sweet potatoes.
- Add the sweet potato mixture to the large bowl and mix well, using a fork.
- Stir mixture quickly until it forms a ball.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead 14 times. Do not overwork.
- Pat the dough out until it is ½ in thick. Cut into rounds with a biscuit cutter (2 ½ in. biscuit cutter).
- Repeat until all the dough is used.
- Place on a cookie sheet and bake for 8-10 minutes until the bottoms of the biscuits are golden brown.
Nutritionals (1 biscuit):
Calories: 94; Total Fat: 3 g; Saturated Fat: 2 g; Cholesterol: 8 mg; Sodium: 260 mg; Carbohydrates: 14 g; Fiber: 1 g; Sugar: 1 g; Protein: 2 g; Vitamin A: 15% DV; Vitamin C: 0% DV; Calcium: 4% DV; Iron: 6% DV