Recipe & Photography by: Meredith Hink, MS, RD, CD
Serves: 5 – 1 cup servings
Cooking Time: 45 minutes
When the weather turns cold and the nights are long, it is time to retreat to the dishes that bring warmth and good memories. The feature dish for this month is a vegetarian adaptation of an old family favorite. From my family to yours, enjoy!
- 2 Tbsp. Canola oil
- 2 Tbsp. Whole wheat flour
- 1 cup Reconstituted CelifiberTM vegetable bouillon
- ¼ tsp Garlic powder
- 1 cup Daiya® cheddar style shreds
- 2 cups Brown rice, cooked
- 1 8 oz pkg Seitan, cubed
- 2 cups Broccoli spears, frozen
- Nonstick pan spray
- Heat oven to 350◦F.
- In a medium saucepan, heat oil over medium heat. Add whole wheat flour to make a roux. Brown slightly.
- Gradually add vegetable broth, stirring constantly until a thick sauce is created. Add garlic powder. Add ¾ cup cheddar flavor Daiya®. Remove from heat.
- Spray 10 x 6 pan with nonstick pan spray. Spread cooked, brown rice along the bottom of the pan.
- Break seitan into 1 inch pieces. Layer with broccoli spears in 10X6 baking pan on top of brown rice. Pour cheese roux over broccoli, seitan, and rice.
- Sprinkle remaining ¼ cup Daiya® over dish.
- Cover and bake 45 minutes or until dish reaches 135◦F.
Nutritionals (1 cup serving)
Calories: 301; Total Fat: 12 g; Saturated Fat: 2 g; Trans Fat: 0 g; Cholesterol: 0 mg; Total Carbohydrates: 32 g; Dietary Fiber: 5 g; Sugars; 2 g; Sodium: 406 mg; Protein: 16 g; Vitamin A: 744 IU; Vitamin C: 30 mg; Calcium: 65 mg; Iron: 1.6 mg