On wet spring evenings when the weather is damp and chilly I love to sit down to my comfort food – a steaming hot bowl of thick noodle soup. Soba noodles add a rich flavor that blends well with seitan and vegetables. When I have a late spring cold I also like to add mustard, especially a spicy mustard, for some added heat.
- ¾ cup sliced carrots
- ¾ cup chopped celery
- ¾ cup chopped green onions
- ½ cup finely chopped seitan
- 4 cups vegetarian broth
- 1 cup soba noodles, broken into 2-3 inch pieces
- 2 teaspoons mustard (optional)
- Place broth in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a boil, approximately 10 minutes.
- Add carrots and celery and cook for 5 minutes or until soft.
- Add onions, seitan, and noodles and cook for an additional 6-7 minutes.
- Add mustard just prior to serving.
- If storing for later use, additional water may be needed as the soba noodles tend to absorb water.
Yield: Approximately 4 ½ cups