Submitted by: Patricia Sheehan
Yield: 6-8 pieces
- 6-8 pc Seitan (made with tomato paste, tamari, paprika, onion powder, lemon juice)
- ½ cup All-purpose flour
- 1 ½ tsp Salt
- ¼ tsp Freshly ground pepper
- ½ tsp Paprika, or to taste
- 3 Tbsp Margarine
- 2 Tbsp Olive oil
- ¼ cup Vegetable broth or water
- 3 Tbsp Fresh lemon juice
- 6-8 Thin lemon slices
- 3 Tbsp Capers
- Cut seitan in half the long way; about ¼ inch.
- In a bowl combine flour, salt, pepper, and paprika; coat seitan well.
- Heat butter and olive oil in a large pan. Sauté seitan in batches, about 3 minutes on each side.
- Drain off all but 2 Tbsp of fat.
- Stir in vegetable broth, scraping to loosen browned bits.
- Add lemon juice and heat through.
- Return seitan to the skillet with the lemon slices; heat until sauce thickens. Add capers. Serve with your favorite pasta.
Nutritionals (1 piece)*
Calories: 484; Total Fat: 37 g; Saturated Fat: 13 g; Cholesterol: 23 mg; Sodium: 1510 mg; Carbohydrates: 20 g; Fiber: 2 g; Sugar: 0 g; Vitamin A: 28% DV; Vitamin C: 33% DV; Calcium: 3% DV; Iron: 11% DV
*Note: nutrition may vary with brand of seitan