Summertime means hitting the road. Traveling can pose limited options for healthy snacking so why not make your own before you go? One way to prepare your own tasty snacks is by using a dehydrator. There are many flavorful options that can be created in a relatively short amount of time including fruit leathers. Fruit leathers do require a special thin tray that allows you to spread out the sauce so it will dry evenly. Try making this delicious leather for your next adventure.
- 2 ripe bananas, mashed
- ¼ cup chunky peanut butter
- 1/8 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/8 cup mini semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Oil a fruit leather tray.
- In a bowl, whisk together mashed bananas, peanut butter, and applesauce until well blended.
- Stir in chocolate chips.
- Using a spatula, spread thinly over fruit leather tray.
- Dry overnight (10-12 hours) on fruit/vegetable setting (135◦F) or until leather is no longer moist and can be peeled from tray.
- Wrap in plastic wrap and bag or package to store/carry.
Yield: 1 tray of fruit leather