Submitted by: Frances Arnold, RD
Yield: 3-4 cups (2 servings)
- 1 cup Baby carrots
- 6 cups Diced, purple cabbage (1/3 – ½ head)
- 2 bunches Rainbow chard
- 2 Tbsp Olive oil
- 2 cloves
- 1 tsp Cumin seed + pinches for presentation
- ½ Tbsp Maple syrup or agave nectar
- Feta cheese (to taste)
- Salt (to taste)
- Rock salt (for presentation)
- In a small pan heat 4 Tbsp water over medium heat while preparing baby carrots. Slice carrots in half (on the short side) and rinse in colander. Add to steaming water and cook uncovered until they are slightly firm and bright orange (15-20 minutes).
- In a large-size pan heat 6 Tbsp water over medium heat while preparing cabbage.
- Slice the cabbage off of its core, taking care to keep the pieces intact for easier slicing later. Toss the core and remove any discolored pieces sometimes found around the outer shell. Fit the cabbage pieces together like a puzzle and cut 1-inch cubes. You can do this by first slicing longitudinal pieces 1-inch apart and then rotating the cabbage to slice horizontal pieces 1-inch apart. Check to ensure that the pieces are uniform in size, then add to the colander and rinse thoroughly. Toss into heated water and steam covered (10-15 minutes).
- In a medium-size pan, heat 4 Tbsp water over medium heat while preparing chard. Cut away any brown or dried ends from the chard and toss. Cut stems off chard in 1-2 inch pieces and rinse separately. Toss into heated water and cover.
- Slice chard in half by cutting down the middle vein on each leaf (the colorful section that runs longitudinally). Stack the leaves evenly and slice horizontally in 1-inch sections. Place into large colander and rinse thoroughly, removing any dirt, rocks, or slime from storing. Promptly add the chard bits to the pan and cover. Steam until the chard is wilted, tender, and bright green (5-7 minutes), then promptly strain to avoid overcooking and dulling its beauty.
- Seasoning: Heat small pan over medium heat with 1 tsp. olive oil. Peel and chop garlic and add carefully to hot oil, spreading garlic out to sauté evenly using a wooden spoon. Add 1 tsp. cumin seeds and sauté until garlic is lightly browned and seasonings are aromatic. Remove from heat.
- Carrots: When cooked, remove from heat, drain in colander and store in cooking pan. Toss carefully with ½ Tbsp maple syrup. Cover and keep separate until ready to serve.
- Cabbage: When cooked, remove from heat, drain in colander and store in cooking pan. Toss with 1 Tbsp olive oil. Cover and keep separate until ready to serve.
- Chard: When cooked, remove from heat, drain in colander and store in cooking pan. Using salad spoons or two wooden spoons, toss carefully with ½ Tbsp olive oil and seasoning. Add salt to taste.
- To serve: Line serving dishes with 2 cups cabbage, then 1 cup chard, then top with ½ cup carrots. You may also mix all ingredients together if preferred. Sprinkle Feta cheese, cumin seed, and rock salt (optional) over the top. Goes well with quinoa. Serve immediately and enjoy!
Nutritionals (per 2 cup serving)
Calories: 171; Total Fat: 10 g; Saturated Fat: 3 g; Cholesterol: 5 mg; Sodium: 605 mg; Carbohydrates: 17 g; Fiber: 5 g; Sugar: 8 g; Protein: 6 g; Vitamin A: 247% DV; Vitamin C: 160% DV; Calcium: 16% DV; Iron: 17% DV