Submitted by: Karen Todd, MS, RD, LDN
Yield: 4 servings – 1 ½ cup servings
This recipe is adapted to be vegan and has black-eyed peas. These are a traditional “must have” for New Year’s Day in the South. It is easy to prepare which is a good idea for those who have celebrated a bit too much the night before.
- 1 – 14 oz pkg Gimme Lean® Sausage
- 1 Tbsp Olive oil
- 1 cup Onion, chopped
- 1 cup Green pepper, chopped
- 1 can Rotel® diced tomatoes and green chilie
- 1 – 14.5 oz can Diced tomatoes, no salt added
- 2 – cans Black-eyed peas, no salt added (such as Eden Organic®)
- 1 tsp Dried oregano
- 1 tsp Dried rosemary, crushed
- Black pepper to taste
- Lightly brown crumbled veggie sausage in olive oil in a large skillet on medium heat. (Note: I used a 10” cast iron deep “chicken fryer” pan for everything).
- Add peppers and onions and cook and stir occasionally until vegetables are almost tender (about 5 minutes) adding a bit of water if it sticks.
- Stir in the Rotel® and tomatoes, undrained. Add drained black-eyed peas and the oregano, rosemary and black pepper.
- Simmer on medium low about 10 minutes until flavors blend and vegetables are tender.
- Serve over rice or cornbread.
Nutritionals (per serving)
Calories: 358; Total Fat: 5 g; Saturated Fat: 0.5 g; Trans Fat: 0 g; Cholesterol: 0 mg; Sodium: 896 mg; Carbohydrates: 54 g; Fiber: 16 g; Sugar: 7 g; Protein: 24 g; Vitamin A: 498 IU[10% DV]; Vitamin C: 50 mg [83%DV]; Calcium 145 mg [14.5% DV]; Iron: 5 mg [28% DV]