This Valentine’s Day treat the ones you love with a little Mexican style parfait. This dish includes three layers – a savory bean and mushroom layer, a smoky red pepper and corn layer, and a refreshing tomatillo-avocado salsa. Not into the parfait look? This dish can also be “wrapped” with love in a tortilla.
Savory Layer (makes approximately 3 1/3 cup)
- 1 ½ cup, chopped, mini portabella mushrooms (4 oz)
- 1 – 15 oz. can no salt added black beans
- 2 cups cooked, brown rice
- 1 Tablespoon chili powder
Smoky Layer (makes approximately 1 1/3 cup)
- 1 red pepper, roasted and chopped
- ¾ cup frozen corn kernels
- 1 cup chopped red onion
- ¼ cup water
- 1 teaspoon liquid smoke
Refreshing Layer (makes approximately 1 ½ cups)
- 1 cup chopped tomatillos
- 1/3 cup chopped cilantro
- 1 avocado, chopped
- Juice of 1 Lime
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- For savory layer combine chopped mushrooms, black beans, and cooked rice in medium size saucepan and cook over medium heat until mushrooms are soft, approximately 10 minutes. Add chili powder.
- For smoky layer cook onion in a frying pan over medium-low heat for five minutes. Add corn, red peppers, and water. Cook for an additional five minutes until water has evaporated. Add liquid smoke.
- For refreshing layer gently toss tomatillos, cilantro, avocado, lime juice, salt and pepper to mix in a medium bowl.
- To assemble, layer approximately ¾ cup savory beans and mushrooms, 1/3 cup smoky red pepper and corn, and a heaping 1/3 cup refreshing salsa in a 1 cup glass.
Serves four one-cup servings.