When it comes to dressing up your dishes this holiday, go green (use avocados)! This fruit, also known as the butter pear and the alligator pear, is native to the New World and can be used in everything from appetizers to desserts. Its mild flavor and high fat content help to balance out highly flavored dishes. Although 82% of the avocado’s Caloric content is derived from fat, the majority of that fat is monounsaturated. The avocado is also a good source of potassium and vitamin C. A 100 gram serving provides 160 Calories, 485 mg potassium, and 10 mg vitamin C. To get you started on your holiday planning, try these recipes:
Yield: 2 cups coleslaw
- 1 avocado, mashed – 1/3 cup
- 2 Tbsp vinegar
- 2 tsp sodium free lemon pepper
- 2 cups coleslaw mix
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 2 Tbsp toasted pumpkin seeds
- In a small bowl, combine mashed avocado, vinegar, and lemon pepper. Stir until well mixed.
- In a medium size bowl, place coleslaw mix. Add avocado dressing and stir to coat.
- Add dried cranberries. Refrigerate for at least one hour before serving.
- When ready to serve, top with toasted pumpkin seeds.
Open Face Sandwich
- Cocktail pumpernickel bread
- Extra sharp white cheddar
- Mandarin oranges
- Avocado, sliced thinly
- Place one piece of thinly sliced cheddar cheese on pumpernickel slices.
- Decorate with mandarin oranges and avocado slices.