Tired of the same old winter soup? Missing fruit this winter season? Try fruit soup.
Fruit soup, which is attributed to Scandinavian, Baltic, and Eastern European cultures, is mainly composed of fruit juice and dried fruit with the addition of spices and sometimes tapioca. It can be served warm or cold and takes less than an hour to prepare. Here is one variation on an old favorite.
- 3 cups white cranberry juice
- ½ cup water
- ½ cup tapioca pearls
- ½ cup dried apples, cut into pieces
- ½ cup dried cranberries
- 1 cinnamon stick
- Place cranberry juice, water, and tapioca pearls in a medium saucepan. Cook over medium heat for 15-20 minutes or until tapioca pearls are translucent.
- Add dried apples, dried cranberries, and cinnamon stick and reduce heat to medium low. Simmer for 10-15 minutes.
- Remove cinnamon stick (if desired, leave in for a stronger cinnamon flavor).
- Serve warm.