Tired of going to restaurants? Looking for a less expensive and healthier way to celebrate Valentine’s Day? Why not go Mediterranean?! Celebrate Valentine’s day by going back to its Greek and Roman roots. For a new twist on a familiar vegetarian recipe, try Valentine’s Day Mini Hummus Pizzas. Accompany the mini pizzas with a spinach salad tossed with red wine vinaigrette and some fresh fruit and you have a convenient and healthy meal for two or more.
Valentine’s Day Mini Hummus Pizzas
- 1 package whole wheat flat bread
- 1 – 15 ounce can garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 – 2 ounce jar sliced, red pimentos
- 1 Tablespoon chopped garlic
- 1/3 cup tahini or natural, smooth peanut butter
- 1 1/4 tsp. chili powder (of choice)
- 3/8 cup lemon juice
- 1 large or 1/2 cup roma tomato – deseeded and chopped
- 2 medium stalks or 1/2 cup celery – chopped
- heart-shaped cookie cutter
- blender or food processor
- Using the cookie cutter, cut-out several heart-shaped pieces of flat bread.
- In the blender or food processor, combine the garbanzo beans, pimentos, chopped garlic, tahini, chili powder, and lemon juice. Blend the mixture until smooth.
- Spread desired amount of hummus on flat bread hearts.
- Top with chopped roma tomatoes and celery.